Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to do multi-line assembler macros?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to do multi-line assembler macros?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:25:03 +0200 (MET DST)

As Marek Michalkiewicz <address@hidden> wrote:

>Yes, support for the '$' line separator was added when ';' was
>already supported as a comment character, for compatibility with the
>old AVA assembler/linker (from the early days of avr-gcc, before the
>binutils port and later merging the AVR port into the official source
>- in fact, both assemblers were supported for a while).

Ah, yes, i completely forgot that all this started with the AVA
assembler.

>I haven't seen '$' used as part of identifiers in any real C sources,
>I don't think it is part of the C standard.

It's certainly not part of the standard, but see

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.1/gcc/Dollar-Signs.html

IMHO, the AVR target thus classifies as a target machine where the
assembler does not allow them, so they would best be disabled at the
compiler level.

Speaking about this, AVR Studio uses well-known names that contain
question marks to emulate their (arguably crappy) UART IO simulation
(?C_GETCHAR and ?C_PUTCHAR).  Currently, gas does not support names
like this, could this perhaps be made happen?  If so, we could easily
provide this option in avr-libc as well (albeit AVR Studio 4 doesn't
have that feature at all by now, only AS3).