Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: WinAVR 20030913 difficulties.

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: WinAVR 20030913 difficulties.
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:54:05 GMT

> I am experiencing some more difficulties with Winavr.
These problems are
> probably due to having a boot loader section...
>
> With coff-avr output, Studio 3.56 barfs on source files
missing.

> With either coff output Studio 4.0x works well, but, my
data for
> initializing SRAM is messed up.  Well, at least, by the
time I get to
> main(), the initialize section is filled with FF.
>
> I use a modified link file to locate the boot section.
Has that stuff
> changed recently?
>
>     *(.fini2)
>     *(.fini1)
>     *(.fini0)  /* Infinite loop after program
termination.  */
>     . = 0x1F000;  /* Force boot loader load address  */
>     *(BootLoader)
>      _etext = . ;
>   } > text = 0xFF
>
> Any ideas?  This worked fine with the previous release
elf-coff tool.

> Thanks in advance.

Jörg Wunsch will have to answer the AVR COFF questions; he
wrote the converter.

However, there are known issues with the converter and
bootloader sections. IIRC, It doesn't quite handle them
properly.

You shouldn't have to modify a link file just to relocate a
boot section. You can place all of the bootloader stuff in
a custom section and then one of the avr-libc FAQ entries
shows you how to relocate a custom section. The new
avr/boot.h even provides a simple define which is a GCC
attribute, to put things in a custom bootloader section.

Eric