Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: WinAVR 20030913 difficulties.

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: WinAVR 20030913 difficulties.
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:00:12 +0200 (MET DST)

As "Larry Barello" <address@hidden> wrote:

>With coff-avr output, Studio 3.56 barfs on source files missing.

AVR Studio 3.x barfs about anything it thinks goes wrong, and quits
service.  Atmels knows that AS3 is, well, not quite optimal source
code, and declined to fix anthing there.

>With either coff output Studio 4.0x works well, but, my data for
>initializing SRAM is messed up.  Well, at least, by the time I get to
>main(), the initialize section is filled with FF.

This is a known problem in the interaction between the way gcc
initializes its .data, and how AS4 handles initialized .data sections.
This has been fixed internally in Atmel's source code, so guys, /you/
are the Atmel AVR Studio users (I am not, I don't have/want Windows),
s please, /you/ are the persons to write to Atmel and pester them to
finally release an updated version of AS4.

Btw. Larry, ISTR that i've once sent you the inofficial updated COFF
parser DLL that is supposed to fix this issue.  From all the reports
i've got so far, it indeed seems to keep that promise, so why don't
you use it?

Alternatively, just stop using AVR Studio altogether, and use GDB.  A
decent debugger, full functionality, no messy COFF file format.  Sure,
the simulator is not quite that advanced yet, but with a JTAG ICE, i
don't see why one would want AVR Studio instead of GDB.  But of
course, that's just a personal opinion.  I much enjoy using the same
debugger across all platforms, instead of learning a new one each new
CPU. ;-)