Re: [avr-gcc-list] TWI interface on Atmega16

From: Christian Ludlam
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] TWI interface on Atmega16
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:20:33 +0100

On 24 Sep Bart Friederichs wrote:

> I have some problems programming the TWI interface on two Atmega16's.
>
> The situation is as follows: one Atmega is a transmitting master, the
> other a receiving slave. The master sends a START condition, then waits
> for TWINT, sends SLA+W, waits, sends BYTE, waits and finally sends a
> STOP. The receiver is set in RS mode and waits for TWINT (address and
> ACK are received), sets TWINT to 1 and waits again. After the wait the
> data is in the TWDR register.
>
> The master does this in a loop, incrementing the sent byte every cycle.
> The weird thing is that it only works the first cycle. When the master
> wants to send the second byte, it waits forever for TWINT after issuing
> the START condition.

I found something similar with a Mega163, and the errata for this device
states that there are conditions where the TWI can lock up, never generating
any signals on the bus, until the device is reset.

I found disabling the TWI (clearing TWEN) between sending the previous STOP
and the next START helped with this.

--
Christian Ludlam
address@hidden