Re: [avr-gcc-list] Future of WINAVR

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Future of WINAVR
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:34:26 -0700

On 16 Dec 2003 at 19:55, Steven Chang-Lin Yu wrote:

> Just went to the newly design WINAVR webpage, and I found that Eric have
> decide to have other people to continue on the development of the WINAVR
> project, what happen Eric?

I'd rather not go into it on a list. Thanks. :-)

> And what will be the future of all the developer
> using WINAVR for design AVR based embedded system???

I'd very much like to continue to build WinAVR. However, I can't do this at
this time. I'm currently looking for someone else to admin the project.

> Does this mean
> everyone will need to shift to the Linux environment for the continue
> support of GCC AVR library???

Of course not. All the various open source AVR projects build on Linux,
FreeBSD, Windows (via Cygwin or MinGW), and there are reports of a complete
toolchain on Mac OSX, and it's known to build on Solaris. This is quite a
feat!

If you look at the various project's web sites, you'll find documentation
on how to build the software. You'll find that the documentation is for
mainly for *nix, but a lot of time those directions will work for building
for Windows using Cygwin or MinGW/MSYS. Many of the projects also have
specific directions for building for Windows (Cygwin/MinGW). One just has
to be prepared to download most of Cygwin...
So, really, you can build the projects (including avr-libc) yourself....
WinAVR just provided the tools pre-built and all in one installation
package.

Eric