[avr-gcc-list] Using AVR Tools

From: ks_347
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Using AVR Tools
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:38:26 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I am new to AVR world.
I have STK500 board and micro controller ATMEGA163.
I am trying to setup this board and write some simple program, in which I can
use the serial port.
I know C, but I am not very familiar with how to write C code for embedded
systems (Any good resources for this?)
I have downloaded WINAVR and AVRStudio(latest version from Atmel)and I also
went through some documentation regarding these tools.
What I could figure out was that I could write the C code and make file using
the Programmers Notepad. Then I can make the .coff file using PN and then open
this file using the AVRStudio and I can simulate using this. I guess I can also
write the hex file in the STK500 board using the AVRStudio.
My questions are as follows:
1) Is this a good first step ?
2) Is this an ideal way to develop a complex system? Or mixing WINAVR and
AVRStudio will creat problems?
3) Which are the topics, I should study in depth? Do I need to study the
architecture/instruction sets of the micro controller in detail before I do all
this? Is learning how to generate make files very crucial?
4) Do I have to create different make files each time I make a new .c file?
5) Where can I find more sample programs?

Thanks