Re: [avr-gcc-list] Struct problem

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Struct problem
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:13:08 +1100

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:17:23PM -0800, Simon Han wrote:

> Sounds a wonderful tool.
> Is it open source?  :-)
> Can I get a copy?

Errr, sorry, wish that I could. We don't all own what we write. :)

It's not hard to write, though, since each pool is only a 2D array.
My preference for allocation control is by linked list. The block at the
head of the free list is always the one to take. Using an array index
instead of a pointer saves RAM when each pool has < 257 blocks. (Pretty
likely on the average AVR)

Not a solution to every problem, but block allocation must be in the
textbooks, somewhere.

A thought: You might find a GPLed example in existing free software.

Erik