[avr-gcc-list] rjmp confusion

From: Simon Han
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] rjmp confusion
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:19:55 -0800

Hello,
Based on AVR instruction set documentation, rjmp is defined to be "relative jump to an address within PC - 2K + 1 and PC + 2K (words)". Then it says that "for AVR microcontrollers with Program memory not exceeding 4K words this instruction can address the entire memory from EVERY address location". I capitalize the word I am confused about. How can a rjmp instruction located at flash memory 3.5K jump back to flash memory location at 0.5K? This will require rjmp (-3K). Does avr-gcc generate code at some middle point (say flash memory location at 2K) to solve this problem?

Thank you for any help,
Simon