[avr-gcc-list] moving assembly code to the bootloader section

From: Kevin Vanwulpen
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] moving assembly code to the bootloader section
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:10:50 -0800

I have been trying to figure out how to properly move my bootloader written
in assembly to the bootloader section.
The rest of the code is written in c.

I succesfully can write C-code and put that in the bootloader. In an attempt
to minimize the bootloader code I decided to write it in assembly but have
so far been unsuccesful in putting it there.

(I can succefully link regular code with assembly, I can put a C-bootloader
in the bootloader section but linking assembly so it ends up in the
bootloader is something I don't seem able to get to work).

The beginning of bootloader.s looks like this:

.section .bootloader
.global bootloader

(I have tried putting ,"x",@progbits behind the .section .bootloader without

The interesting thing is that avr-size actually tells me the correct size
and offset for my bootloader but... when I open the output binary in a hex
editor and go to the address where the bootloader starts there is nothing
there (contrary to when I use a bootloader written in C), which utterly blew
me away honestly speaking.

I am not sure if it would be a tremendous amount of trouble to point ot an
example that actually does this (google didnt give me much) or so.

Thanks in advance,

avr-gcc-list mailing list