Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinCVS and WinAVR Conflict

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinCVS and WinAVR Conflict
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:17:45 -0600

On 17 Apr 2004 at 8:03, Alex Shepherd wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Does anyone use WinCVS and WinAVR together?
>
> When I installed the most recent WinAVR, WinCVS stopped working in that
> it locks-up on starting.
>
> If I rename C:\WinAVR it works fine. If I put the previous WinAVR back
> (renaming directories) it works fine. I assume that this is to do with
> the Cygwin DLL as renaming that also seems to have an impact.
>
> Anyone gotten any further with this?

Don't forget to see the README, section 7.1, number 1, which talks about how
there are a number of programs in WinAVR that require the Cygwin DLL, WHICH IS
SHIPPED WITH WINAVR. Also there are Tcl and Tk DLLs from Cygwin that are
shipped with WinAVR also, which are used for Insight and the Wish interpreter
which gets used for TkInfo and MFile.

Interestingly, there is this bug tracker for WinCVS (sorry for the wrapping):
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=889453&group_id=10072&;
atid=110072>
which talks about conflicts with WinCVS and Cygwin DLLs including for Tcl/Tk.

There is no short-term solution to this. This mainly has to do with linking to
Cygwin DLLs and all the various conflicts that can arise out of this when other
Cygwin DLLs (and other versions of them) are present.

The long-term solution is to get all of the various projects in WinAVR to build
natively for Win32 and have them be "self-contained; no DLLs. Alex, I've
mentioned this to you before; here's a perfect example of why this is so much
desired.

Any volunteers to help port projects would be incredibly welcome. The projects
that need native Win32 executables are:
1. SimulAVR
2. AVaRICE
3. GDB / Insight