Re: [avr-gcc-list] objdump patch

From: Svein E. Seldal
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] objdump patch
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 09:57:34 +0200

Theodore A. Roth wrote:
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, gouy yann wrote:

Hello,

having the symbols is definitively a good idea.
by the way, since you ask, I would have prefered:

20c:       02 c0           rjmp    .+4             ;
0x212 <.do_copy_data_start>

The arm port of gcc does it like this:

   0:   ea000006        b       20 <_start>

I've manually added "0x" in front of the symbol. I thought that was rational because avr-objdump seem to separate between hex and decimal output. The other targets that I've been working on in binutils uses it in the same way as the arm port.

This can kick both ways. Do you want the symbol to refer to an address, this would be the output:

226:       e1 f7           brne    0x220 <.do_clear_bss_loop>      ; .-8

or, if you want to refer to the label it should be printed like this:

226:       e1 f7           brne    220 <.do_clear_bss_loop>      ; .-8

Personally I will lean towards:

226:       e1 f7           brne    0x220 <.do_clear_bss_loop>

(with hex and without "; .+5" because it generally does not tell you anything useful)

On a last note I would like to comment that gas is not capable of reading objdumps output, so it really doesnt matter how we format the output.

Svein