RE: [avr-gcc-list] data segment init code & .data size calculations

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] data segment init code & .data size calculations
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:41:23 -0700

Hi Bernard,

> I'm compiling a program made of a dozen files, I'm looking
> everywhere for the places where I could have a static or
> global initialized at a value different of zero and I find
> none at the moment. But the final result reports 4 bytes
> for the size of the .data segment. So I'm looking at the
> .sym file and I read:
...snip...

I would add the following option to your linker line (I'm assuming that you're
linking by using avr-gcc)

        -Wl,-Map,foo.map

And look in the map file. It should give you a complete breakdown of what's
going into what segments and which object files the data is coming from.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada