Re: [avr-gcc-list] Bizarre string problem

From: Dave Hansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Bizarre string problem
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:31:18 -0400

From: address@hidden (Joerg Wunsch)
[...]
"Dave Hansen" <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> The way I read this is
>
>    char t[1] = "Thanks for all the fish.";
>
> is legal and will initialize the first (and only) element of t to 'T'.

That's the fun about standards. ;-)  The way I read the above is that
this wouldn't be allowed, since the optional clause ``if there is room
in the array'' only applies to the trailing '\0'.

Consequently, GCC at least warns:

% avr-gcc -Wall -S foo.c
foo.c:1: warning: initializer-string for array of chars is too long

whereis it compiles

char t[1] = "T";

without a complaint (to the same assembler code, of cause).

The standard allows the compiler to generate a warning for anything it likes. "Warning: there may be undetected errors in your program." "Warning: it's Friday, you'd better leave early to beat the traffic." But the construct must compile. As it apparently does.

My preference would be a warning in both cases (i.e., any time the initializer, including terminator, doesn't fit), especially with -Wall specified. But lint finds them for me, so I'm happy enough.

Regards,
  -=Dave