[avr-gcc-list] Optimizer -fnew-ra option

From: Haase Bjoern (PT-BEU/MKP5) *
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Optimizer -fnew-ra option
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:14:46 +0100

Hello,

does someone already has experience with using the "-fnew-ra" optimizer option
for avr-gcc?

I have been playing around a little bit with the optimizer configurations and
it turned out, that the "-fnew-ra" optimizer improved our code density by about
7%!
Since we do not have much program memory left in our ATMEGA169, we would be
happy to use the additional 1k of PROGMEM.

For my tests, I have been comparing "-Os" with "-Os -fnew-ra" for
avr-gcc.3.2.2. We presently still are using gcc.3.2.2 since I have the
impression that the code efficiency of the older versions is kind of a bit
better than the efficiency of the more recent releases. I, e.g. have been
comparing gcc.3.2.2. with the current gcc.4.0-20041114.

When using gcc-3.2.2 with "-fnew-ra" our application seemingly still works
fine.
Since this optimizer feature, however, seems to be classified as "not ready for
production use", I feel a bit uneasy about using it. (E.g. also my current
gcc.4.0-20041114 crashes with a "segmentation fault", as soon as I try to use
"-fnew-ra".)

For this reason, I would be like to know whether anybody has already had
experience with this optimizer option and whether someone could give me an
idea, which kind of errors one should look for when using the new register
allocator.

Yours,

Björn