Re: [avr-gcc-list] binutils/.../testsuite/avr

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] binutils/.../testsuite/avr
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:44:36 +1100

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 01:44:08PM -0800, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
> On the other hand, binutils and gcc just spit out a file. As such, there
> should be no need for a simulator for the most part. It's just a matter
> of compiling or assembling a chunk of code and then comparing the output
> to some expected result. The output used for the compare could either be
> the raw intermediate asm file for a C code fragment or possibly a
> disassemle of the object file.

That was also my conclusion, after examining the xxx.s xxx.d xxx.r files
in ld and gas testsuites. The fact that the .d files are disassemblies
means that consistent objdump behaviour is a prerequisite, but that
shouldn't be a problem. (Directly using the output of avr-as
-ahl=/tmp/test.l wouldn't check the object file. I think we need to use
objdump, as appears to be done in the existing testsuites.)

Dmitry has made a start, but we are considering moving to compatible .d
format before making too many test cases.

Anyway, no simulator needed, when we're only checking the assembler.

Erik