Re: [avr-gcc-list] agv-gcc with AVR Studio 4

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] agv-gcc with AVR Studio 4
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 17:45:35 +0100 (MET)

"David Kelly" <address@hidden> wrote:

> For those who tuned in late the FreeBSD machine is PII at 450 MHz
> and XP is P4 at 2 GHz. And be sure to carefully note my opening
> statement, "It doesn't really matter..." You know you are a geek
> when you find these things interesting.

I do find them interesting. ;-)  I'm also interested in seeing that
other people are using my FreeBSD ports...

Not much clues about the timing difference which is way more than I'd
expect.  My only idea is that creating a process under Windows is such
an expensive job while it is fairly lightweight under modern Unices
with their copy-on-write strategies and fast filesystem buffer caches,
so the time to create a new process is predominant here, compared to
the actual compile time.  If that's the case, the ratio should become
better if you've got some more heavy compile job (like compiling a
larger C++ source).