Re: [avr-gcc-list] OT - in defence of MISRA (was Feature request ...)

From: Douglas Dotson
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] OT - in defence of MISRA (was Feature request ...)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:23:42 -0800 (PST)

I've dealt with many many coding standard over my
many years in the field. Each has its pros and cons.
My point was that none do all that much to reduce
problems, a skilled programmer is the bottom line.
Mostly a metric by which management can judge
something they have trouble relating to. Calm down,
I've been on both sides for many years. Some managers
are former programmers (as was I) and are much better
at managing programming projects. Coding standard
are just a small piece of the pie. Unfortunately,
many of the standards are touted as THE SOLUTION
to increasing productivity and reliabilty, and
fall short of that promise.

Doug