Re: [avr-gcc-list] secureAVR processors from Atmel working with avr-gcc

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] secureAVR processors from Atmel working with avr-gcc
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:02:51 -0700

Per Arnold Blåsmo wrote:

Hi All!

I just wants to share some information about using the avr-gcc and avr-libc on the secureAVR chips from Atmel.

In a project I am working on we decided to us Atmel secure chip AT90SC3232CS instead of an ordinary Atmel chip. As most of you knows, info about the chips are under NDA. Therefor I can not give any information about the chips them self.

But, I can share info about that I have made it possible to compile a program using avr-gcc and avr-libc and run it successfully on AT90SC3232CS. It should work for other secureAVR chips also. I will do it for the AT90SC144144CT in the near future.

I translated the header file and modified avr-libc, avr-gcc and avr-binutils to accept the new processor. The patches I made was only the one that is suggested on avr-libc's home page for adding another processor.

The reason for doing this is that in my company we run all servers and workstations on Linux. Our working environment is Linux. Since Atmel only supports the IAR compiler on these chips and IAR only works on MS-windows, I had a problem. I did not want to convert to MS-windows so I had to try modyfing the avr-gcc toolchain.

So far I have only compiled a simple program, but it worked. I am now aiming for some more heavy stuff :-)

This is great!

I edit my program using Eclipse.
Compile it using avr-gcc and avr-libc.
Convert the compiled .elf file to extended .coff for debugging
I am using the Voyager emulator system from Atmel to do debugging of my code. Since I do not have the spec. of the communication protocol with the Voyager I have to use AVRStudio (on a windows PC :-( to debug. (I read somewhere that AVRstudio 4.10 can read .elf files, but have not tested that yet)

Correct, but only ELF files that contain DWARF2 debugging info. So you'll have to rebuild your toolset to contain that configure option.

Atmel supplies an windows-dll file for communication with the Voyager, but I do not know any way to use a windows-dll in a Linux program. Maybe usage of wine and winelib might do it? Perhaps make a Linux program as a connection between simul-avr and Voyager?

You'll have to contact Atmel about this. This is the first I've heard about the Voyager emulation system from Atmel.

If someone has be able to tun AVRstudio under wine or otherwise on Linux, I would like to know how ;-)

I think I heard that it's possible, but I don't know how. Some other Linux people would have to comment on this.

Eric