RE: [avr-gcc-list] COFF/ EXTCOFF: /ccOcaaaa.s not found in symbol table

From: Steve Bentley
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] COFF/ EXTCOFF: /ccOcaaaa.s not found in symbol table, ignoring
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:56:32 +0100

I changed the makefile as you suggested, this now looks like the
following

////
DEBUG = dwarf-2

CFLAGS = -g$(DEBUG)
CFLAGS += -O$(OPT) \
        -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums
\
        -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes \
        -Wa,-ahlms=$(notdir $(<:.c=.lst)) \

ASFLAGS = -Wa,-ahlms=$(notdir $(<:.asm=.lst)),-gstabs
////

The output from the build is:

////
<SNIP>
avr-gcc -c -mmcu=atmega162 -I.
-I../../../OS/Micrium/Software/uCOS-II/uCOS-II/SOURCE -I../source
-gdwarf-2 -O2 -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct
-fshort-enums -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-ahlms=os_cpu_
c.lst  ../source/os_cpu_c.c -o os_cpu_c.o
avr-gcc -c -mmcu=atmega162 -I.
-I../../../OS/Micrium/Software/uCOS-II/uCOS-II/SOURCE -I../source -x
assembler-with-cpp -Wa,-ahlms=os_cpu_a.lst,-gstabs
../source/os_cpu_a.asm -o os_cpu_a.o
avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega162 -I.
-I../../../OS/Micrium/Software/uCOS-II/uCOS-II/SOURCE -I../source
-gdwarf-2 -O2 -f unsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct
-fshort-enums -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-ahlms=test.o  te
st.o   os_cpu_c.o ucos_ii.o os_cpu_a.o --output test.elf
-Wl,-Map=test.map,--cref

test.cof
avr-objcopy --debugging --change-section-address .data-0x800000
--change-section-address .bss-0x800000 --change-section-address
.noinit-0x800000 --change-section-address .eeprom-0x810000 -O coff-avr
test.elf test.cof
Warning: file C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccsVaaaa.s not found in
symbol table, ignoring
////

As you can see the assembler still uses -gstabs. I tried changing this
as well but it threw an error. Should it also be changed? I release that
I can remove the coff generation from my makefile once I have the dwarf
format elf working OK.

Some background that I forgot. I am using AVR Studio Ver 4.10 Build 356,
and would like to use it to simulate my project.

I can now open the *.elf file in AVR Studio. The following debug o/p is
generated by AVR Studio.

Loaded plugin STK500
AVR Simulator Please wait while configuring simulator...
AVR Simulator ATmega162 Configured OK
Loaded objectfile: d:\<SNIP>\test.elf

The source files are correct and can be seen in the project view and I
can Step-into and also Step-Over the source correctly. What I can not do
is break on breakpoints. I can also build the project again and
AVRStudio asks if I would like to reload the elf.

When AVRStudio is not in debug mode, I can set break points on any
source line by right clicking and selecting toggle breakpoint. I was
confused for some time when I would try and set a breakpoint in debug
mode and the symbol looked different, a light blue rectangle. I then
realized that this was "toggle bookmark". Anyway...
after setting a breakpoint, I then enter debug mode and hit Run. The
Simulator then only ever reports Running in the bottom status view. That
is to say the code looks to be running but my breakpoint (set at the 1st
or 2nd line of code) is never hit. Whilst running, my breakpoint has
disappeared from view and my only option is to hit "break". When I hit
break, the Simulator stops somewhere else in my code past where I had
set the breakpoint previously. It doesn't seem to break in the correct
place either, i.e. it stops during some initialization routines, even if
I leave the Simulator running for a couple of minutes.

Trying to set breakpoints again (whilst in debug mode) has no effect
whatsoever. Clicking the button at the top right or using the option in
the pull down menu or hitting F9 does not produce a breakpoint.
Checking the Breakpoints tab in the bottom of the screen I do not see
any breakpoints either.

In summary I can set breakpoints when not in Debug mode but once I enter
debug mode they disappear. In debug mode I can not set breakpoints
whatsoever.

Do I now have more of an AVRStudio issue or is this dwarf issue still
involved?

>2. Use AVR Studio 4.10 with the new ELF/DWARF2 parser (in beta), which
>can read the new output above.

What do you mean "with the new ELF/DWARF2 parser"? Is this something I
download separately of AVRStudio or is it built into the project?
Sorry forget that, I just checked the directories and found
AvrParserElfDwarf.dll. Therefore I presume there is no manual
configuration by the user to use this.

Steve

---