Re: [avr-gcc-list] Old bug - ordering of 16 bit assignments

From: David Gay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Old bug - ordering of 16 bit assignments
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:33:08 -0800

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:29:18 -0500, Bob Paddock
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:52:35 -0500, Andy Hutchinson
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I would suggest we live with this one.
>
> Only if it documented someplace as known to be broken.

I would point out that, as far as the C language is concerned, this is
not a bug: there is no guarantee as to which order the bytes of a
multi-byte entity are written in. It's arguably a "quality of
implementation" issue (i.e., "good" compilers would guarantee such an
order), but as this thread points out there might be disagreement on
that...

It would make more sense to me to:
- document this clearly
- provide macros/inline functions in avr-libc for access to the AVRs
word-based I/O registers (ok, I haven't checked recently, those are
quite likely there already).

David Gay