RE: [avr-gcc-list] WinAvr 2005... compile problems

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] WinAvr 2005... compile problems
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:18:49 -0800

> "UN*X does it this way" is _not_ equivalent to "This is the
> way it should be"

And to further stir the pot...

I created a patch which allows make to understand leading spaces instead of
tabs. I have a patch for 3.79 and 3.80. It still properly supports the fact
that macros like ifeq actually want leading spaces and not tabs.

Personally, I understand the difference and work fine either way (leading
spaces or tabs) but I got tired of tracking down the leading spaces instead
of tabs problem in other peoples makefiles, which is what motivated me to
create the patch in the first place (path of least resistance). Not everyone
appreciates these subtleties, and people were griping that they had used
other makes which supported the leading spaces.

So, if anybody is interested, I'd be happy to pass it on.

I think I may have precompiled Win32 versions both with and without cygwin
support (I know I have 3.79 using cygwin for sure). The version I have case
insensitive (as far as filenames are concerned).

You can argue whether it's right/wrong or otherwise, and I don't really care.
I just thought that other might be interested.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada