(Fwd) Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAvr 2005... compile problems

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: (Fwd) Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAvr 2005... compile problems
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:32:20 +0200

I forgot to reply to the list.
From:                   Anton Erasmus <address@hidden>
To:                     David Kelly <address@hidden>
Subject:                Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAvr  2005... compile problems
Date sent:              Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:24:03 +0200

On 7 Mar 2005 at 21:55, David Kelly wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2005, at 6:39 PM, Gary Griswold wrote:
> >
> > Let me say that again:  MAKE IS NOW CASE-SENSITIVE!
> >
> > Is it to be that way from now on???
>
> I hope so, as that is the way things should be. The compiler is case
> sensitive to value names. It and its supporting tools should be
> sensitive to file names.
>
> Recently a consultant submitted his current work to me, used WinAVR.
> About half of the filenames were capitalized differently in the
> filesystem, Makefile (was spelled "makefile"), and in includes
> within files. "But it worked in Windows" he was heard to say.
>
> Oh, and some files were named FileName.C, which in Unix is a C++
> file.

What is wrong with "makefile" ?. GNU Make searches for GNUmakefile,
makefile and then Makefile if -f option is not used. GNUmakefile is
recommended if the makefile will only work with GNU Make.

With the other things I agree. A lot of Windows editors automatically
creates an uppercase filename, even if one types in lower case. I
always check, and rename if necessary. (Total Commander has a nice
convert to lower case tool).

I also use the make from cygwin together with WinAVR, which is case
sensitive.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

------- End of forwarded message ---------