Re: [avr-gcc-list] interrupts and signals (again)

From: Parthasaradhi Nayani
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] interrupts and signals (again)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:20:54 -0800 (PST)

--- David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:
> On more advanced CPU's interrupts behave as Jamie
> was asking. That only
> a higher priority interrupt can suspend a lower
> priority handler in
> execution.
>
> On microcontrollers where low cost and high volume
> is the name of the
> game it was once common to have only one interrupt
> vector, or none. Off
> the top of my head a Microchip 16C55x has one IRQ
> which shares the same
> vector as power up. One has to determine which event
> happened in
> software.
>
> AVRs are pretty advanced with lots of IRQ vectors,
> most are self
> clearing.

Hello,
IMHO all processors/controllers disable the global
interrupt once the ISR is entered except for NMIs,
which can never be disabled. I am not sure of any
advanced processors which selectively enable higher
priority interrupts when a lower priority interrupt is
being serviced. Can you give some example (chip
numbers) processors/controllers.

Nayani