Re: [avr-gcc-list] OT: Programmers NotePad

From: Gary Griswold
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] OT: Programmers NotePad
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 13:38:29 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, ALL, for all the helpful info.

Anton, I found the EDN issue referenced, unfortunately
my equipment does not allow me to read the image on
the EDN site; could be my glasses, too. It was a good
clue, however, to my finding a utility, 2&1, to map
stderr onto stdout and thence to a text file.  I am
now running happily with 2&1(or 2-1, there is some
confusion), a new DOS shortcut on my desktop, some
batch files, and running Notepad++ (actively in
development).

Now if I could only find the time to become a student
of Make, I might never have to drop out of windows to
compile a program.

Griswold wrote:
> >"[..]
> >
> >[..] I run
> >Windows98.
> >
> >2. How does one entice Avr-gcc to unconditionally
> >write an error file? Redirection doesn't appear to
> >work.
> >
> >[..]"
> >
> > Consoles' behaviors vary significantly across
different versions of
> >Windows. In a plain Windows 98 DOS box, error
redirection does not
> >work but on Cygwin on Windows 98, it does. Whether
this will help you
> >with WinAVR GCC, I do not know.
> >

>EDN Magazine once published a small piece of code
that redirects the
>stderr to stdout on DOS. This utility works under
Win98 as well. Search on >the EDN site under Design
Ideas.

>Regards
>   Anton Erasmus
>--