[avr-gcc-list] What method should I use to get started?

From: Tim
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] What method should I use to get started?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 20:13:00 +0200 (CEST)

I am having trouble getting started.

What is the best method of learning AVR programming
with GCC? Is it to just read through the avr-libc
manual and buy a C book? Are there any additional aids
out there?

After I've gotten started, what method have you guys
used to program a certain AVR CPU? For example, I
assume you make use of the data sheet for the specific
processor. But do you really read through all 300+
pages (at least thats the case with mega32) of the
specification? That seems exhaustive and boring.
Perhaps you could enlighten me on some simpler

Thank you...