Re: [avr-gcc-list] What method should I use to get started?

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] What method should I use to get started?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 19:07:43 -0500

On May 10, 2005, at 1:13 PM, Tim wrote:

What is the best method of learning AVR programming
with GCC?

I recommend that you do NOT learn AVR programming with GCC. I recommend you learn embedded programming and happen to have AVR and GCC as your current tools.

Over the past 25 years I've been drafted to interview potential new hires. There are resume padders who jump from one tool to another then list every little thing they have used as an accomplishment rather than a means to an end. I care far less whether one has used PADS, OrCAD, or McCAD, than I care whether you know how to create great schematics, parts lists, and PCB artwork.

The resume padders do better in sales and management than in engineering.

But do you really read through all 300+
pages (at least thats the case with mega32) of the
specification?

Of course. Over and over. Print it (double sided is best) and put it in a notebook. Keep it handy and open at all times to the section you are working on, say, "timer 0".

That seems exhaustive and boring.

If it was easy anyone could do it. If it was easy everyone would be doing it and there wouldn't be any particular value or reason not to hire the guy who mops the floor into an embedded programming position.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden