Re: [avr-gcc-list] GCC console output capture

From: Colin Paul Gloster
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] GCC console output capture
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:57:29 +0100

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:02:39AM +0200, Juergen Suetterlin wrote:

"[..] To compile my design I
call a batchfile which executes make.exe. The compilation works fine but I
can not capture the GCC console messages (make.exe all > error.txt) and
because of that I can not use the automatic error extraction parser of CW.
[..]
The messages are printed to the screen when I start the make.exe directly
but I can not capture them.
I also tried to call make.exe directly but this does not work better.

Is it possible to print those console messages in a way I can fetch them?"

In what exactly are the error messages being currently displayed? In a DOS
box or some other type of window? The redirection capabilities and the
Windows capabilities of different versions of Windows varies immensely. If
you are successfully getting your output in a DOS box, perhaps you could
right click on the title bar and choose Edit --> Select All and then Edit
--> Copy and then paste the output into a file. With Cygwin on Windows 98
it is possible to redirect stderr properly (note that &> is the standard
error redirection operator but in Windows 98 without Cygwin there is no
dedicated stderr operator). On UNIX(R) clones' terminals, > and >> and &>
work properly (a &>> would be nice though). If you get a system with &>
working properly then it seems that for your purposes, you would not need
a better GUI window around the console, but KDE's Konsole allows one to
save the output (confusingly by choosing Edit --> Save History As...) (but
this can be slow when it is about a megabyte or more in size and can
crash when a few megabytes in size) and to set infinite lines of
scrollback (Settings --> History) (all Microsoft Windows DOS boxes have a
finite restriction as far as I am aware).