AW: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr-gcc-4.0.0 for Win (Jurek Szczesiul)

From: Haase Bjoern (PT-BEU/EMT) *
Subject: AW: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr-gcc-4.0.0 for Win (Jurek Szczesiul)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:44:29 +0200

Hi,

I have written a second "quick and dirty patch" for the dwarf-2 problem and
succeeded in debugging an AVR program using 4.0.0 and avr-studio 4.10 (should
work also with 4.11) on a on a WOE-2000 box :-).

The patch as it is, is certainly not suitable for inclusion in the gcc source
tree. I, however, now have a clear idea on how a solution of the problem should
look like. I'll look after that it will be included in the source tree ASAP
(got my copyright assignment yesterday).

Concerning the remaining dwarf-2 issues:

1.) Callstack information
This is not a bug, but rather a missing feature. In order to provide this
functionality, we would need to provide a small back-end hook. This issue is
strongly related to the "prologue/epilogue as RTL instead as text" issue that
Andy Hutchinson is working on. Possibly this could be implemented at the same
time.

2.) Overflow issue for the larger devices (mega128, e.g.)
This bug stems from the fact, that the dwarf-2 tables store program memory
addresses as "byte-adresses". Since only two bytes are allocated presently in
the dwarf section, one will get a wrap-around as soon as the 64k boundary is
surpassed. In order to fix this, one would have to change the dwarf-2 section
information so, that it allocates 4 bytes for all of the label references.
Doing this seems to be fairly easy. However, then one would have two different
types of dwarf formats, dwarf-with-2-byte-lable-references and
dwarf-with-4-byte-lable-references. One would get identical avr programs.
However, I think then the dwarf-2 parser of gdb and avr-studio both would need
to know which kind of address convention is used in a particular elf file.

Yours,

Björn