Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR-GCC question

From: hanzl
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR-GCC question
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 10:31:53 +0200

> I guess 'C' standards have evolved or set taking into
> account only general purpose computers specially those
> running UNIX, DOS etc. But in embedded realm one has
> to take into account the kind of resources that are
> available, so should one really bother or comply with
> standards which are hard to implement in a given
> environment?
>
> Perhaps it may be a good idea to have a separate set
> of standards for embedded 'C'.

I have programs which run on many quite different systems, including
embedded SoC systems as well as huge UNIX clusters. While I am happy
to get access to all the special resources (at least for the few
time-critical parts), I am even more happy to have common base which is
likely to work everywhere.

I think that trying hard to push things into C compliance is very well
worth it, the result being compliant implementation where possible and
clear documentation of even slight divergencies for the rest.

Vaclav Hanzl