Re: [avr-gcc-list] problems on linux

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] problems on linux
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:07:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Kitts <address@hidden> wrote:

>> The ELF to COFF convertor is only available on WinAVR as it is only
>> used by Atmel's AVR Studio which is a Windows-only program.

FWIW, I've also included it into my FreeBSD ports of avr-binutils.
But the patch is poor enough so I wouldn't expect anyone else doing
so.

>> For debugging on Linux, use GDB + simulavr.

> Oh! i did not know this. How then to use VMLAB which expects coff
> files?

Are you trying to use VMLAB under Wine?  That's about the only thing
right now where you might really need the COFF hac^H^H^Hpatch under
Unix.

You can always roll your own version of avr-binutils, with the COFF
patch applied.  (Pick it out of CVSweb for FreeBSD's avr-binutils port
if you want.)

> Since i was planning to use VMLab. But i guess the code size would
> be greater than VMLAB would permit.

Does VMLAB have a code size limitation?  Or are you talking of the
demo version?  I think it has a limitation in the allowed simulation
time as well, so it's really only there to get you an idea about
whether this is something you might find useful if you're willing to
buy it.  (Btw., my very personal opinion: it's certainly worth the
money if you need all its features.  They even carefully track whether
you are accessing undefined memory or register bits.)

> ..., but trying to open it in the simulator it just says "the object
> code file does not contain source code information".  Maybe because
> the Windows version does not like Linux style file paths?

Yeah, sure, AVR Studio might be picky about that.  Btw., are you
compiling with -gdwarf-2 on Linux?  AVR Studio won't be able to use
the "stabs" debugging information that used to be created by the
default -g option (equivalent to -gstabs).