Re: [avr-gcc-list] Macro to read /write long to eeprom

From: Royce Pereira
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Macro to read /write long to eeprom
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:12:38 +0530

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:57:57 +0530, Peter Bosscha <address@hidden> wrote:

Ok, let's try to be more clear about this ..
Structure size is say 1000 Bytes, when writing the entire structure the write time would therefore be 9mSec * 1000 = 9 Seconds. Typically in our situation, parts of the structure change but other parts stay the same (this is configuration data for a PLC-like device). When downloading the entire structure from a PC, quite a bit of eeprom memory already contains the correct values. So instead of waiting 9 Seconds for a full structure update (and another 9 seconds for a backup structure), we first read before write each byte, typically saving us quite a lot of time.

Meaning if the eeprom already contains the said value, you skip writing that location?
Am I right?

--Royce.