Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problems with ATMEGA8 USART

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problems with ATMEGA8 USART
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:11:13 -0500

On Aug 14, 2005, at 4:21 AM, Bob Paddock wrote:

On Saturday 13 August 2005 08:35 pm, David Kelly wrote:

For advanced discussion one would probably wish to put the buffer and
its indexes into a struct so that its obvious to future generations
maintaining your code that the indexes and buffer belong together.
Doesn't make code size one iota bigger:

struct {
     uint8_t tail;
     volatile uint8_t head, buffer[BUFFER_SIZE];
} uart0;

On the Mega162 with two USARTs I tried it both ways. Duplicate the code for
each USART, and using a common driver with structures.  The duplicate
approach came out smaller in code space. Don't recall the exact number but
it was more than a few bytes of difference.

Did that myself, partially, on an ATmega64. my_getchar() and family require a pointer to struct of type UART to know which buffer to manipulate.

The "partial" part was that I did not use common code to service the Tx and Rx interrupts. All "user code" (that which runs outside of IRQ time) was shared for both serial ports. For the very little space savings a very large hit occurred by referencing USART registers via double de-referenced pointers. Also the first thing an IRQ routine would have to do is figure out whether UART 0 or 1 or both needs attention. With separate routines one instantly and correctly knows which is in need of attention and register addresses are hard coded at link time.

The one clumsy part of code was in my_putchar() which had to reach directly into the hardware for the specific port to restart the Tx IRQ if the buffer had been empty, which causes my Tx IRQ routine to shut itself off. Also there was a possible race condition.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden