Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Gcc with AVR Tiny

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Gcc with AVR Tiny
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:20:17 +0200

> "David Brown" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I've just recently written a program for an AVR Tiny 12 using
> > avr-gcc, and thought others might be interested.
>
> Interesting approach.  Bruce Lightner once also reported about his
> attempt, which (upon popular request) even made it into the FAQ:
>
> http://lightner.net/avr/ATtinyAvrGcc.html
>
> If you setup a page describing your approach, we could add the pointer
> in the FAQ as well.
>
> --
> cheers, J"org               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

I looked through Bruce's pages before starting, and got some useful tips
from there, even though I took a slightly different approach.

At the moment, I'm too pushed for time to do justice to a FAQ, which would
really involve doing a lot more testing and investigation - my program was
very small (not quite just a button connected to a blinking LED, but not far
off it).  If this is successful and we do more with Tinys, then I'll have
more information to share.  Otherwise, if there is enough interest then I'll
see if I can write up a little more.

Looking forward, I think gcc 4.0 and 4.1 might be much better for the AVR
Tiny - as far as I understand it, the newer inter-procedural optomisations
could make a big difference to the code.

mvh.,

David