RE: [avr-gcc-list] ATmega16 ADC at High Clock Rates

From: Kristian Saether
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] ATmega16 ADC at High Clock Rates
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:01:34 +0200

Tom, Dave

When the ADC clock frequency is above 1Mhz the accuracy of the ADC will degrade
rather
quickly. We do not recommend using it with a faster clock than 1Mhz so we do
not test or
characterise the ADC at higher speeds than 1Mhz.

The actual resolution at 2Mhz will probably be 5-6 bits. That should be
something in the
range of 30 LSB...
I think there are people using the ADC with a 2-4Mhz frequency in applications
where they
only need 2-4 bits resolution, but I have not seen it in real life. If you can
live with a
lower resolution than 8 bit you could alsways test the ADC at 2Mhz and see if
the result
is something you can use in your application.

Best Regards,
Kristian Saether
AVR Applications Engineer