Re: [avr-gcc-list] Put text string after interrupt vectors

From: Lars Noschinski
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Put text string after interrupt vectors
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:19:00 +0200

* Erik Christiansen <address@hidden> [2005-08-16 14:02]:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 12:32:04PM +0200, Lars Noschinski wrote:
I'm rewriting an assembler program to C, which had a signature string
at 0x20 in the flash memory.
[...]
Have you considered what is in the first 0x20 code bytes? If the
signature is placed there, what are you hoping happens to the interrupt
vectors? (IIRC the mega64 vectors go to 0x30, for example. :-)

The used device carries either an at90s4433 or an atmega8 which have
both less than 0x20 interrupt vectors, so there shouldn't be any
problems.

(and if we use a bigger controller later it is very likely that the
circuit is also redesigned ;))

Is there a way to tell gcc (or ld) to put the signature at 0x20? If not,
is there at least a way to guarantee, that the signature is "anywhere
near the beginning" of the flash memory?

What about putting the .signature section's start just above the
vectors, and providing .text with a section start above that? This is an
ideal time to write a custom linker script, since you'll need to move
"*(.vectors)" out of .text, to do that. :-)

Ah, I had no idea what complexity is hidden in the linking process :)

Thanks (also to Dave), I'll try your hints in the next few days.