Re: [avr-gcc-list] Generating code using sbis, sbic

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Generating code using sbis, sbic
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:15:37 +0200

I'm far from convinced that integer promotion on an 8-bit AVR is an overall
win (except, perhaps, in terms of the time and effort it would take to
change the compiler to avoid it!).  I can see that if one function calls a
"char" function, and uses the result as an integer, then this saves the
callee doing the promotion.  But how often does that occur in real programs?
Carefully written AVR code makes heavy use of "unsigned char" (or the
programmer's favourite typedef'ed equivilent) precisely because it is the
fastest and most compact way to store a small number.  About the only
regularly occurances I can think of when a function would call a "char"
function and have to use the result as an integer is when it is used for an
if() or a switch().  Code such as "if(test1()) ..." ignores the high byte
anyway, while code such as "switch (test1())..." clears the high byte
explicitly, despite ignoring it in the generated code.

Perhaps I'm being overly fussy, or perhaps there is code usages that I
haven't thought of where integer promotion is a good idea, or perhaps
changing things would be too much work due to either standards requirements,
or fitting in with the rest of gcc (on targets which can work directly with
"ints", then integer promotion is probably a clear win), but I think this
should be classified as a "missed optomisation opportunity".  (In general,
avr-gcc produces excellent code, for which I am very grateful - I just enjoy
nit-picking :-)

Regarding the "return 0" issue, I guess that's something to look into, since
it must occur regularly.  In the meantime, using

    #define zero ({ unsigned char z; asm(" ldi %0, %1" : "=r" (z) : "M"

and replacing "return 0" with "return zero" gives good code in the function,
although it messes up the inlined version somewhat.

Best regards,

David