Re: [avr-gcc-list] re: libtool and winavr/ AVR GCC

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] re: libtool and winavr/ AVR GCC
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:56:27 +0200 (MET DST)

"Jim Brooks" <address@hidden> wrote:

> When I checked the bin directory of WinAVR however, there was no
> libtool.  Can I use the PC GCC libtool?

Dunno, perhaps you can, but why do you want?  I personally think
libtool is a horrible GNUism, and it's not needed at all to create a
simple library.  make itself has enough support for handling
libraries, it can even update a single object module within a library
after recompiling it, although for typical microcontroller
environments, you could perhaps get away with always recreating the
entire library as well.

As there are no dynamic libraries for the AVR, things are really quite
relaxed.  All you need is the avr-ar command.