Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to link without .init4 ?

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to link without .init4 ?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:44:03 +0200

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

So for the ATmega103 and ATmega128, you'll always drag in that version
as part of the startup files. :-(
Can't this 'big code' __do_copy_data() be renamed to __big_code_copy_data() and be stored also
in libgcc.a ? So one can provide its own also?

Also .init4 is said to be weakly bound

This is wrong (and should be fixed -- please file a bug report).

First, a section cannot be `weakly bound' at all, only a symbol can.
Second, there's normally no need to declare these symbols weak, as
they come in only on-demand from libgcc.a.  However, third, in the
special case mentioned above, a weak symbol would perhaps make sense,
but that symbol isn't really declared weak, so it will always be
brought in.

I think your best bet is to make a customized copy of the startup
code, and then use -nostartfiles.

Okay, I filled a bug report (#14262) about avr-libc documentation but when I use -nostartfiles, I also
loose the vector table, so I guess that I've to build and provide my own?