Re: [avr-gcc-list] JTAG with USB chip FTDI FT2232

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] JTAG with USB chip FTDI FT2232
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:53:45 -0700

Wolfgang Gschwendtner wrote:

- normal datacommunication via serial UART

Works great!

- JTAG debugging and programming the flash with the second serial port in the special JTAG mode

I have successfully used the somewhat older FT232BM part in bit bang mode to program an ATmega8 via serial download (but not using JTAG.)

My questions:
Is there any software that I can use ?

I can't speak to the JTAG mode of the FT2232 part, but I modified avrdude to be able to do all its functionality via FTDI bit bang mode over the D2XX DLLs on Windows. There is (experimental!) patch #4330 on the tracker at:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=4330

You would need to route 4 pins from the second port of the FT2232 to the AVR RESET, MISO, MOSI, and SCK programming pins of the AVR; then the patched avrdude could do its thing. (Note: the patch is for avrdude on Cygwin only, I'm working a Linux version.)

Of course, none of this would work using the JTAG port. I personally don't have experience with the FT2232 part (yet) so I can't see if there are any hidden gotchas waiting for you.

has anyone some experience with this Chip together with atmega64 or similar ?

FT232BM <--> ATmega8 USART & SPI works wonderfully.

-Johnathan