Re: [avr-gcc-list] Placing variable at absolute memory locations

From: Henrik Maier
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Placing variable at absolute memory locations
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 07:58:11 +1000

Dave,

This creates a pointer to a specific memory location but does *not* allocate the memory. The linker will still place other variables into this memory space.

What I actually want to achieve is reserving a memory space from 0x100 onwards by allocating an absolute variable or a memory block in a C source file. I like to explore if there is an option of doing this _without_ using any linker option by putting some kind of attribute into the C source file. I checked the gcc manuals but could not see anything alike, so I assume there is none.

The alternative solution is moving the .data/.bss section after my special memory space or creating a section and advising the linker of it's position.

But I just wanted it to be confirmed by somebody more familiar with avr-gcc that there is not option of doing this in C only.

Dave Hylands wrote:
Hi Henrik,