Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:16:48 +0200 (MET DST)

>I have been advised to use CVS when developing programs, but it seems
>awkward to set up the server side.

Don't use CVS server.  If you need remote CVS, use CVS-over-ssh.  If
you're living in a Unix world, it's pretty safe to share the CVS
repository over NFS, and use local CVS access, as CVS works with lock
files inside the repository.

CVS pserver has had many security issues in the past, and there's
basically only one situation where you might consider using it: to
provide an anonymous read-only CVS access to the world.

>While asking around for help, I have been suggested to give up CVS
>and use SVN, "subversion", instead, and that it was meant to supplant
>CVS.

SVN is GNU's answer to version control.  I haven't used it myself, but
hearsay tells me it might have learned from a number of CVS' mistakes.
So if you're really free in your decision, I'd say look at SVN first.

>I would like your opinions on this... what do everyone use at work?
>Does it make any difference what system I use, as long as I use one?

CVS does have some weak points that become obvious over time.  You
should perhaps be able to google for deeper analysis.  Some of the
defaults aren't really sane, like a cvs update not creating new
directories that have been added to the repository, some
implementation details cause messy side-effect like the unability to
remove directories from the repository, so you'll end up to wire
"cvs update -Pd" into your fingers.  A few things related to branch
handling could have been implemented better as well.

>Say I find a job in this field, what would my boss be most likely to
>ask me to use, CVS or SVN?

CVS is likely to still have a much larger coverage in the real world
than SVN.  But of course, once you've grasped the basics of a version
control system, the differences don't matter much.

Other things to consider: what client(s) are you going to use?  If
it's plain command-line, that's no issue.  If you need editors or
so-called IDEs performing the front-end functionality for version
control, you'll most likely find a lot more that can already handle
CVS implicitly than SVN, in particular if you leave the Unix world.