RE: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!

From: Dave Hansen
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:36:07 -0400

From: Vincent Trouilliez <address@hidden>

Hi list,

I have been advised to use CVS when developing programs, but it seems
awkward to set up the server side. While asking around for help, I have
been suggested to give up CVS and use SVN, "subversion", instead, and
that it was meant to supplant CVS.

Now CVS seems difficult enough, so I don't fancy spending time on it,
only to have to change to something else soon after...

I would like your opinions on this... what do everyone use at work ?

Most of my career I used PVCS. At various places of employment, I've used Continuus, Visual Source Safe, and RCS. That last is the closest I've ever come to CVS or SVN.

Does it make any difference what system I use, as long as I use one !?

The difference between using one and not using one is far greater than the differences between any two particular systems.

And that's why (IMHO), especially for individuals or groups who've not used version control in the past, ease-of-use is by far the most important feature. If it's hard to use, people will find a way to avoid using it, at least until it's saved their butts a few times and they can see the true value.

Kind of like lint...

Say I find a job in this field, what would my boss be most likely to ask
me to use, CVS or SVN ? Or do the bosses not care, and the engineer can
use and setup whatever system he prefers or is familiar with ?

You will generally use what the company has chosen. Unless they haven't chosen. Which is why I'm using RCS at the moment -- it's better simple to set up, easy to use, low overhead, and _far_ better than nothing. If you're on a Windoze box, Component Software makes it almost trivial to set up and use (www.componentsoftware.com). The personal version is free (as in beer).

But it's only me using it. I'd want something fuller-featured if there were group dynamics to contend with. Component software has a CVS-based system that's not free, but reasonably priced, and I'd certainly give that a look based on my experience with the RCS tool.

HTH,
  -=Dave