Re: [avr-gcc-list] What is the recommended route to build avr-gcc with s

From: Alexei Chetroi
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] What is the recommended route to build avr-gcc with support for newer processors?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:03:16 +0200

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 09:27:11PM -0000, Nigel Winterbottom wrote:
> From: Nigel Winterbottom <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: [avr-gcc-list] What is the recommended route to build avr-gcc with
>       support for newer processors?

  [ snip ]
> I am therefore resigned to performing a build of avr-gcc and have at least 3
>
> 1.  I have a Slackware 10.1 linux box available and can use instructions &
> patches at http://www.kieltech.de/uweswiki/
>
> 2.  I have downloaded FreeBSD 6 and can use Joerg Wunsch's work at:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/avr-gcc/files/
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/avr-binutils/files/

  How familiar are you with unix? Using Linux/FreeBSD only for compiling
doesn't make much sense. You should completely move all your developemnt
onto unix. Otherwise it may be better to try compile gcc-avr on win32
platform.

  If you prefer to go with unix, you may use instructions from
http://www.kieltech.de/uweswiki/ or FreeBSD port. There's little
difference between patches on http://www.kieltech.de/uweswiki/ and Joerg
Wunsch's work, beside that Joerg's patches supports two devices more. If
you would use something debian based, I have packages for Debian sarge
of: gcc-avr-3.4.4, binutils-avr-1.16.1 and libc-avr-1.4.0 with Joerg
Wunsch's patches applied.

> 3.  I can be really masochistic and try a windows build using instructions
> at:
> http://kk.elektronik-4u.de/index.php?Sid=12
 [ snip ]
> Which option do people recommend ?
  You have to decide. If you won't succeed to compile it on windows, you
always have time to give it a try on unix.

  Best wishes

--
Alexei Chetroi

Smile... Tomorrow will be worse. (c) Murphy's Law