Re: [avr-gcc-list] Compiler optimisation and volatile variables

From: Willem Jacobus Marais
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Compiler optimisation and volatile variables
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:21:05 +0200

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 09:31 +0100, David Brown wrote:
> You are introducing several layers of extra uncertainty -
> your assembly, your assumptions about compiler-assembly interfacing,
> and the
> reliability and maintainability of mixing the two languages.

How often does the way the compiler handle structs and array change? If
these remain constant (with the C type sizes) throughout the compiler
releases, the compiler-assembly interfacing would remain safe.

If the statement I have made is incorrect, please do tell. At the moment
I can't think of any compiler-assembly interfacing uncertainties.