Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problem to get .coff

From: Roger Furer
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problem to get .coff
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 09:55:58 -1000

Jeff Dombach wrote:

Compiling C: project3.c
avr-gcc -c -mmcu=atmega168 -I. -gdwarf-2 -DF_CPU=8000000UL -O0 -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef -Wa,-adhlns=obj/project3.lst -std=gnu99 -Wundef -MD -MP -MF .dep/project3.o.d project3.c -o obj/project3.o make.exe: *** No rule to make target `obj/main.o', needed by `project3.elf'. Stop.

Process Exit Code: 2
Time Taken: 00:02

Recently I was experiencing the error above during development and
eventually determined it was caused because the letter case of the
filename in the windows directory was capitalized and in the make file it
was lowercase.

I suggest that you use "MY Computer" to look at the atual file name in whatever directory you stored it. My first experience was very similar. It was because I only spelled out the name when I first saved the file, then everytime I modified and saved, I used the icon in the toolbar and never again looked at the actual file name. I put the name in the Make file that I thought I'd used and got the "No rule to make target...". I wrote to several forums and didn't understand most of what they told me. Until one fellow suggested I use no capitol letters in the file names. This caused me to go back and change all the file names and to rename the original file as well. That is when I discovered I had initialy miss-spelled the name. It wasn't just capitol letters, it had the WRONG letters, so I now double check the file directory whenever I save.
Good Luck
Roger