Re: [avr-gcc-list] Question about code size

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Question about code size
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 00:00:19 -0800

hi Erik.

Does -fno-default-inline do any good?

I get the following warning:
cc1: warning: command line option "-fno-default-inline" is valid for
C++/ObjC++ but not for C

> It seems to be inlining the putch function which is called many times,
> and the inlined version is quite a bit bigger than calling the
> function.

If the above doesn't do it, how about:

#define NOINLINE __attribute__ ((__noinline__))

on the functions that shouldn't be inlined?
(OK, that could be laborious if there are a lot of them. :-)

That seems to work. If I put it front of every function, then I get
the size down to 890 bytes (it was 1366 bytes before this).

The 3.4.5 compiler generated 848 bytes.

At least the bootloader is under 1k again.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada