Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVRDude serial access problem under WinXP

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVRDude serial access problem under WinXP
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:59:23 +0200

As Colin O'Flynn wrote:

> I CAN confirm this bug. However - it is not quite as reported. The
> output looks like:

> Sending bytes [some bytes]
> STK500 Can't find Sync
> ser_open.c: Can't open com1. Access denied.

> The important thing here is the error occurs AFTER the port has been
> opened and some data has been transferred.... so I guess it's an
> error with how the STK500 v2 detection is done?

Ah, that rings a bell.  That's what happens if the original report is
too fuzzy.  Thanks for clarifying: I think what happens here is that
the STK500 v1 code gives up, but doesn't correctly close the port
then.  When the STK500 v2 code comes along, and wants to open the
port, the OS refuses that.  (Under Unix, there's no issue with this,
there can be multiple concurrent opens on the same serial line.
Philosophical OS differences.)

Please open a bug report for that (someone, not quite necessarily
Colin, but I don't care).  I'm not sure I'll be able to resolve that
immediately, because it could require some more restructuring to
provide a proper strategy of cleaning up before leaving.