Re: [avr-gcc-list] Determine a segment length I the makefile

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Determine a segment length I the makefile
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:23:02 +1000

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 04:01:37PM +0200, Schwichtenberg, Knut wrote:
> I know I could set the length of a segment in the linker script. Is
> there a chance to set it in the makefile? While the linker scripts for
> the avr5 are able to handle the M128-memory my M32 run out of memory
> without any comment - especially if I add an additional bootloader.

Variables were not welcome in MEMORY{}, last time I tried.

The simplest solution that immediately comes to mind has the advantage
of keeping linking data in linker scripts rather than makefiles,
headers, etc.

In the linker script, just replace:

MEMORY
{ ...
}

with:

INCLUDE memory.tmp

For that file to end up containing the excised memory segment text,
your makefile only needs to overwrite it with either your customised
memory_128.ld or memory_32.ld, prior to linking, depending on the make
target.

(Obviously we're doing this in a copy of one of the default linker
scripts, or our own custom script. ;)

I'm guessing you've already rejected just using "-T script_xxx", with
only the memory segments customised for each target. That could lead to
maintenance confusion, so is uglier.

Erik