[avr-gcc-list] Odd difference between last two WinAvrs

From: larry barello
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Odd difference between last two WinAvrs
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:59:47 -0700

I have the following:

#define BOOTSTART 0x1F800

#define BL_SERIAL 2

#define BL_SMB 4

So I can say

((void (*)(void))((BOOT_START+BL_SERIAL)/2))();

When I want to jump into my bootloader at the serial download entry point.

In last years WinAvr that code breaks.  It generates:

            call -1023

In this years compiler it works.  It generates

      ldi r30,lo8(-1023)

      ldi r31,hi8(-1023)

      icall

Is there a bug I am missing?  A compiler problem?  Am I being clueless on how I specify a hard address to call?