[avr-gcc-list] can't put static variable in specific section

From: Yann GOUY
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] can't put static variable in specific section
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 10:12:34 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

as suggested by J"org, I change the list and clarify some points.

I'm using different sections to put the stacks and heaps of tasks with my
preemptive kernel.

using labels in the linker script and canaries of sections borders, I'm able to
check whether a task as overwritten the context of another.

my problem is I'm not able to put a variable in one of this section as long as
it is declared as static.

does someone have an idea?

thanks by advance.

    Yann

(This probably better belongs into address@hidden)

As Yann GOUY wrote:

> I have tried to add other attributes like 'common/nocommon' and
> unused but it failed.  the only way to have the variable allocated
> is to suppress the static keyword.

The question is why do you want to put them into specific sections in
the first place?  I remember inventing RAM sections `on the fly'
(i.e. without also modifying the linker script) never really worked,
as somehow, the linker defaulted any unknown section to ROM.

So the key would be to use a modified linker script.

Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des expériences des internautes sur
Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
http://fr.answers.yahoo.com